Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) a hormonal disorder in women of reproductive age is characterized by the presence of multiple small cysts in the ovaries, as well as by high levels of androgens (male hormones) and irregular menstrual periods.
- Irregular periods or no periods at all
- Heavy or irregular bleeding
- Hirsutism (excessive hair growth on face, chest, and back)
- Male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Darkening of the skin, particularly in the armpits, groin, or neck
- Insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes
If you have experienced any of these symptoms, it is recommended to consult the best PCOS hospital in Chennai.
The causes of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) are believed to be a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some possible causes include:
- Hormonal imbalances: High levels of androgens (male hormones) can lead to the formation of cysts on the ovaries.
- Insulin resistance: PCOS is often associated with insulin resistance, which can increase androgen production.
- Inflammation: Chronic low-grade inflammation in the body may contribute to the development of PCOS.
- Genetics: Some studies have suggested that certain genetic factors may increase the risk of developing PCOS.
It is significant to note that PCOS is a complex condition, and the exact cause can vary from person to person. It is advised to consult with the best PCOS doctor in Chennai for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
PCOS can be typically diagnosed by various symptoms and laboratory tests at the Chennai PCOS clinic. The diagnostic criteria for PCOS include the presence of at least two of the following three criteria:
- Irregular menstrual cycles (oligomenorrhea) or the absence of menstrual cycles (amenorrhea)
- Elevated levels of androgens (male hormones) as indicated by hirsutism (excessive hair growth), acne, or elevated levels of testosterone in the blood
- Polycystic ovaries on ultrasound
- Lifestyle changes such as weight loss (if overweight), regular physical activity, eating a healthy diet, and managing stress can help to an extent in the treatment of PCOS.
- Taking medications such as oral contraceptives (birth control pills), progestin therapy, metformin, clomiphene, and gonadotropins can also treat PCOS.
- Laparoscopy for PCOS treatment in Chennai is a surgical procedure that is sometimes used to diagnose and treat polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). During the procedure, a small camera is inserted through a small incision in the abdomen, allowing the surgeon to view the ovaries and fallopian tubes. The procedure can identify any abnormalities, such as cysts, and remove them if necessary. It can also be used to check for endometriosis or other conditions that may be causing symptoms similar to those of PCOS. Laparoscopy is usually performed on an outpatient basis, and recovery time is usually short. To know about estimates of the surgery it’s best to check laparoscopy for PCOS cost in Chennai.
To know more about these treatments, it is recommended to avail the best PCOS treatment in Chennai and determine the best course of treatment for you.